In the beginning…
Welcome to the Genesis Lyceum Course. This self-paced plan of study exists to foster deep engagement with, and understand of, God’s word. Please follow the course procedures below to get started.
- Purchase the ESV Study Bible. This study Bible has an abundance of scholarly articles, maps, and footnotes that will help you better understand God’s word. Please do not skip this step!
- It is important that you engage with the text by either journaling or writing in your Bible (annotating). Decide which you will do, or if you will do both. Check out How to Mark a Book if you plan on annotating your Bible.
- If you plan on testing for our certificate at the end of the course, please email us now at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you are starting the course.
- Before you begin, I suggest you pray for motivation and resolve. Pray something like this, “Lord, my motivation to read your Word is low. I frequently let sleep, my phone, tv, and other things stop me from reading your Word. Please forgive me for this…and please help me, Lord, to do better. Please send your Helper, the Spirit, to help me love your Word. I promise to get out of bed at _______ time ________ days per week to complete this course. Please, Lord, bless this time. Help me to come to love getting up early to read your Word. Help the scriptures to come alive for me. Help this be a transformational experience for me. Amen.”
- If you have theological, historical, or philosophical questions as you move through the course, please ask them in the discussion thread below. If you wish to ask questions privately, you may email us or direct message us on Instagram @areopaguseducation.
- Now it’s time to begin! Start by watching these videos:
- Begin reading Genesis 1-11. At the same time, begin reading the scholarly introduction to the Pentateuch and Genesis found on pages 35-47 of your ESV Study Bible. Each day, read one or two chapters in Genesis and about two pages of the scholarly articles. If you find the scholarly articles absolutely boring, you do not have to read them…just know they are there to help you when you have questions. Also, don’t forget to read the footnotes in your study Bible as you move through the text! Spend two to four weeks on this step.
- Do you have any unresolved questions? If so, please visit Answers in Genesis before you move on. Also, please see the advanced reading list at the bottom of this page.
- Now it’s time to move on to the Patriarchal Stories. Go ahead and watch this video:
- Begin working your way through chapters 12-50. Read one to two chapters per day, and don’t forget to annotate/journal! Spend about two months on this step. As you read, make time for the following videos:
Congratulations! You have finished! If you would like to test for our certificate of completion, please email us at email@example.com.
New Directions in Pooh Studies (an article showing how silly the Documentary Hypothesis is)
Fear and Trembling, Søren Kierkegaard
Image: The Creation of Adam, Michelangelo